Adding NT Workstations with samedit

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Tue Feb 22 22:31:49 GMT 2000

> > use \\\\mywks -U administrator -W mywks
> >
> > this will force mywks to verify administrator against the *local* SAM
> > database.  i'm certain that if you renamed the administrator account on
> > the local workstation to something _other_ than the same name as the
> > Domain Admin account on mypdc, this would not be necessary [specifying a
> > Domain name of mywks].
> >
> > please let me know if this works.
>
> 'fraid not. I tried it both with & without making the two accounts
> different (actually I renamed the admin account on the PDC back to
> its original name & left the workstation one the same), but explicitly
> setting the domain name to that of the workstation still results in

i'm sorry, then i don't know what is wrong.  i tried exactly this and it
worked fine.  tested against nt5 and nt4.

can u report:

- whether you are using latest cvs (which you always should be)

- smb.conf file

- os type

can u check:

- local admin account actually works (use another nt wksta, do net use
\\ntwks /user:NTWKS\localadmin).

- more log info, debug level 100, recompile with -DDEBUG_PASSWORD.

thx.

luke