Adding NT Workstations with samedit

George Cameron george at biomed.abdn.ac.uk
Tue Feb 22 22:20:11 GMT 2000

> > Domain=[MYTEST] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba TNG-prealpha]
> > [Administrator at MYPDC]$ use \\\\mywks -U Administrator
> > use \\\\mywks -U Administrator
> > Enter Password:<MYWKS's Administrator password>
> > Server: \\MYWKS: User:   Administrator   Domain:
> >                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Connection:     socket connect to /tmp/.smb.0/agent failed: No such file or
> > directory
> > error connecting to 123.456.789.345:445 (Connection refused)
> > failed session setup
> > cli_net_use_add: connection failed
>
> hmm, this shouldn't happen.  ok, try this:
>
> use \\\\mywks -U administrator -W mywks
>
> this will force mywks to verify administrator against the *local* SAM
> database.  i'm certain that if you renamed the administrator account on
> the local workstation to something _other_ than the same name as the
> Domain Admin account on mypdc, this would not be necessary [specifying a
> Domain name of mywks].
>
> please let me know if this works.

'fraid not. I tried it both with & without making the two accounts
different (actually I renamed the admin account on the PDC back to
its original name & left the workstation one the same), but explicitly
setting the domain name to that of the workstation still results in

failed session setup
cli_net_use_add: connection failed
FAILED

I also tried renaming the workstation admin account to match the (original)
PDC admin account. Still no joy. However, I notice that neither the
user nor the domain I specify are reported after issuing the 'use'
command, e.g. I get:

[pdcadmin at MYPDC]$ use \\\\mywks -U wksadmin -W mywks
use \\\\ptah -U Administrator -W ptah
Enter Password:
Server: \\MYWKS: User:   pdcadmin    Domain:
                         ^^^^^^^^            ^^^^^^^^^
Connection:     socket connect to /tmp/.smb.0/agent failed: No such file or
directory
error connecting to 139.133.211.101:445 (Connection refused)
failed session setup
cli_net_use_add: connection failed
FAILED

Hmmm.

George

 George Cameron		   g.cameron at biomed.abdn.ac.uk
 Dept. BioMedical Physics
 Aberdeen University
 Foresterhill		   Fax:	      +44 (0)1224-685645
 Aberdeen AB25 2ZD	   Telephone: +44 (0)1224-553210
 Scotland, UK