Adding NT Workstations with samedit

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Tue Feb 22 21:14:53 GMT 2000

> mypdc# samedit \\\\mypdc -U Administrator
> Added interface ip=123.456.789.012 bcast=123.456.789.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> Enter Password:<mypdc's Administrator password>
> socket connect to /tmp/.smb.0/agent failed: No such file or directory
> error connecting to 123.456.789.012:445 (Connection refused)
> session setup ok

this is good.

> Domain=[MYTEST] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba TNG-prealpha]
> [Administrator at MYPDC]$ use \\\\mywks -U Administrator
> use \\\\mywks -U Administrator
> Enter Password:<MYWKS's Administrator password>
> Server: \\MYWKS: User:   Administrator   Domain:
>                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Connection:     socket connect to /tmp/.smb.0/agent failed: No such file or
> directory
> error connecting to 123.456.789.345:445 (Connection refused)
> failed session setup
> cli_net_use_add: connection failed

hmm, this shouldn't happen.  ok, try this:

use \\\\mywks -U administrator -W mywks

this will force mywks to verify administrator against the *local* SAM
database.  i'm certain that if you renamed the administrator account on
the local workstation to something _other_ than the same name as the
Domain Admin account on mypdc, this would not be necessary [specifying a
Domain name of mywks].

please let me know if this works.

> I don't understand:
>
>    1.	why I'm getting
>
>      'socket connect to /tmp/.smb.0/agent failed: No such file or directory'

it's a warning.  don't worry about it.

>    2.	why both machines seem to be reporting an error connecting
>    	to port 445

because the client code in TNG now supports SMB over port 445.  the server
code (smbd) is a little trickier, so i disabled it there (it didna' wurk
:( )

>    3.	why, if the PDC and local machine administrator accounts have
>    	different names, it echos the administrator account name of the
>    	*PDC* rather than the workstation where I've underlined with
>    	^^^^^ (I then changed them to have the same name to see if that
>    	would help but that made no difference)

um... because you specified use \\mywks -U administrator [same name?]

i don't know.  if that's the case, it's a bug!

> I'm running on sparc, Solaris 7, TNG from yesterday. Have NT machines
> running on a 2.0.6 PDC but am keen to get TNG working now. I could send
> a high-level log but from the missing file message I guess I may have
> something a little more fundamental wrong.
>
> George
>
> PS/ OK - I guess there is stuff in the logs after all. I've got multiple
>
> ERROR: unbecome root depth is 0
> ERROR: become root depth is non zero

*sigh*.  this _really_ needs to be sorted out, and it's not simple, so
i've been avoiding it.  i know how long it would take to sort out the code
involved in this (passdb/*.c, groupdb/*.c) if i tackled it.

thx george.