Adding NT Workstations with samedit

George Cameron george at biomed.abdn.ac.uk
Tue Feb 22 21:05:12 GMT 2000

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Joseph Manojlovich wrote:
>
> > I tried to add a new nt4 workstation to my domain using "smbpasswd -a -m
> > NAME" only to see that we are supposed to use "createuser NAME$" with
> > samedit now. Anyway, after entering samedit using "samedit -S . -W
> > DOMAIN", as root, and running the creatuser, which says it created the
> > account fine, no one can log into the domain from the workstation. The
>
> samedit -S . -U root% at a root unix prompt.
>
> you have destroyed the trust account of a previously successfully-joined
> workstation.
>
> see posting last week which i sent out detailing how to deal with this
> (subject contains rpccline / samedit etc)

Having seen this message, I tried what I thought were the right instructions
(looks like Lars' very helpful pages now need updating :) but got the following
(names & ips substituted):

machines are:	MYPDC, ip 123.456.789.012
		MYWKS, ip 123.456.789.345

mypdc# samedit \\\\mypdc -U Administrator
Added interface ip=123.456.789.012 bcast=123.456.789.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Enter Password:<mypdc's Administrator password>
socket connect to /tmp/.smb.0/agent failed: No such file or directory
error connecting to 123.456.789.012:445 (Connection refused)
session setup ok
Domain=[MYTEST] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba TNG-prealpha]
[Administrator at MYPDC]$ use \\\\mywks -U Administrator
use \\\\mywks -U Administrator
Enter Password:<MYWKS's Administrator password>
Server: \\MYWKS: User:   Administrator   Domain:
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Connection:     socket connect to /tmp/.smb.0/agent failed: No such file or
directory
error connecting to 123.456.789.345:445 (Connection refused)
failed session setup
cli_net_use_add: connection failed
FAILED
[Administrator at MYPDC]$ quit
quit
mypdc#

I don't understand:

   1.	why I'm getting

     'socket connect to /tmp/.smb.0/agent failed: No such file or directory'

(and in a little more logging detail):
socket open succeeded.  file name: /tmp/.smb.0/agent
socket connect to /tmp/.smb.0/agent failed: No such file or directory
redirect FAILED, make direct connection
Connecting to 123.456.789.345 at port 445
error connecting to 123.456.789.345:445 (Connection refused)
Connecting to 123.456.789.345 at port 139
[000] 81 00 00 48 20 46 41 46 ...

   2.	why both machines seem to be reporting an error connecting
   	to port 445

   3.	why, if the PDC and local machine administrator accounts have
   	different names, it echos the administrator account name of the
   	*PDC* rather than the workstation where I've underlined with
   	^^^^^ (I then changed them to have the same name to see if that
   	would help but that made no difference)

I'm running on sparc, Solaris 7, TNG from yesterday. Have NT machines
running on a 2.0.6 PDC but am keen to get TNG working now. I could send
a high-level log but from the missing file message I guess I may have
something a little more fundamental wrong.

George

PS/ OK - I guess there is stuff in the logs after all. I've got multiple

ERROR: unbecome root depth is 0
ERROR: become root depth is non zero

in log.netlogon . Should there perhaps be something on this in Lars'
FAQ? The only reference I found in the archives which seemed to be
relevant was the reminder that you can't have users & groups with the
same name in NT. I think I've remapped all my duplicate groups to
different names using a 'domain group map' file but I still seem to
have the problem.

And in log.smb:

(lots of)
socket connect to /tmp/.msrpc/.wkssvc/agent failed: No such file or directory
socket connect to /tmp/.msrpc/.lsarpc/agent failed: No such file or directory
socket connect to /tmp/.msrpc/.NETLOGON/agent failed: No such file or directory

 George Cameron		   g.cameron at biomed.abdn.ac.uk
 Dept. BioMedical Physics
 Aberdeen University
 Foresterhill		   Fax:	      +44 (0)1224-685645
 Aberdeen AB25 2ZD	   Telephone: +44 (0)1224-553210
 Scotland, UK