Adding NT Workstations with samedit

Joseph Manojlovich manojlov at cse.psu.edu
Tue Feb 22 17:24:21 GMT 2000

I tried to add a new nt4 workstation to my domain using "smbpasswd -a -m
NAME" only to see that we are supposed to use "createuser NAME$" with
samedit now. Anyway, after entering samedit using "samedit -S . -W
DOMAIN", as root, and running the creatuser, which says it created the
account fine, no one can log into the domain from the workstation. The
error message is "the system cannot log you on to this domain because the
system's computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password
on that account is incorrect". I know I created the computer account, but
I thought these accounts didnt need passwords. And strangely enough, the
workstation joined the domain just fine when I set up the networking on
it.

Joe Manojlovich
manojlov at cse.psu.edu