Problem Samba & NT in a Domain - NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD ?

wirbserd at t-online.de wirbserd at t-online.de
Tue Feb 22 15:03:00 GMT 2000

Hello together!

I have a problem with Samba and the binding into Windows NT a
domain. I would like to achieve that authorizing the Samba user
takes place over the primary domains controller.

I executed the following steps (domain name: LANGROUP, name of the
PCD: NOSTROMO):

(configuration: PDC: NT-Server 4.0, SP 5
                Windows-Client: NT-Workstation 4.0, SP 5
                Linux-Server: SuSE Linux 6.3, Samba 2.0.5a)

1. On NT Server: added in the server manager the Samba server
   (MOON44) to the domain.

2. on the Linux server: stopped smbd and nbmd - processes;
   the following instruction executed:
   smbpasswd - j LANGROUP - r NOSTROMO
   Ausgabe:
   2000/02/21 13:44:31 : change_trust_account_password: Changed
password
   for domain LANGROUP.
   Joined domain LANGROUP.

3. edited smb.conf:
   # globale Einstellungen
        workgroup = LANGROUP
        netbios name = MOON44
        security = DOMAIN
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd %u -m
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u
        password server = NOSTROMO
        encrypt passwords = YES
        min passwd length = 0
        null passwords = YES
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        os level = 2
        server string = Server Linux
        max log size = 1000
        keepalive = 30

   [homes]
        comment = Heimatverzeichnis
        read only = No
        create mask = 0750
        valid users = %u

4. /etc/rc.d/smb start -> to restart Samba

When I wanted to now test the connection to the Samba server, I could
not get a connection to the samba-server (form a Windows NT Client;
SP 5; username (zander) und password are correct and tehs user
"zander"
exists on the Windows NT PDC).

In the log file / var/log/log.smb the following messages appear:
  [2000/02/21 15:01:33, 0]
rpc_client/cli_netlogon.c:cli_net_sam_logon(392)
  cli_net_sam_logon: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
  [2000/02/21 15:01:33, 0]
smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1369)
  domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user zander
in domain
  LANGROUP to Domain controller NOSTROMO. Error was
NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD.
  [2000/02/21 15:01:33, 1] smbd/password.c:pass_check_smb(532)
  smb_password_check failed. Invalid password given for user 'zander'

It seems to be a problem with the passwords (NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD?)

I would be grateful for your information to solve the problem.

Thank you.
Daniel

-----
Daniel Wirbser