Win9x and TNG status?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Mon Feb 21 22:34:59 GMT 2000

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Karl Denninger wrote:

> I figured that part out.
>
> I had the current branch, not TNG.
>
> I'm re-CVSing and will report back in a while when I've had the chance the
> beat the snot out of it for a while.

very cool.  if you REALLY want to give tng (or any other system) a
difficult time, do make bin/rpctorture.

if anyone else wants to try this, i'd really appreciate some feedback.

rpctorture is part of the same suite / family as rpcclient, samedit,
regedit etc.  so it takes the same command-line arguments.

two special _extra_ arguments to rpctorture are -N numberofforkedprocesses
-o numberofoperations.

you can specify these at the start of any rpctorture command, and they
will be set as the defaults and used for the corrent and subsequent
commands.

e.g:

rpcclient -S ntsrv -U% -l log
[ntsrv$ ] logintest -N 100 -o 100 DOMAINNAME\user password

this will do 10,000 interactive NT logins - 100 of them in parallel, 100
times.

i like doing this to NT, it tends to creak, croak and only accept 28
incoming connections.  of those 28 incoming connections, it rejects most
of them because of internal bottlenecks on SMB, \PIPE\NETLOGON and
internal resources.

last time i checked, NT only actually completed about... something like...
600 of the requested 10,000 logins.  actually, i think it was 100,000 that
i requested, only 500-600 succeeded.

TNG fares a little better, except that i came across a bug in tdb that
causes it to fail, and _stay_ failed.  if anyone can repro this, please
SAVE your netlogoncreds.tdb file because we REALLY need to track this
down.

thx,

luke