Still problems of password sync

Ondrej Hanak hanak at IRIS.osu.cz
Mon Feb 21 17:18:25 GMT 2000

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, LEYMARIE Gerard wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm using Samba 2.0.6 as a PDC on a YP server.
> Nt password are crypted and not in plaintext
>
> I want to synchronise samba and YP password
>
> I use %u parameter for username and receive it when users change password.
> I use also use %n to get new password, but this field is keep blank when
> informations are transmitted to the passwd chat.
>
> In my script I use echo %u:%n > toto.txt and chpasswd %u:%n
>
> What can I do?
>
> Thanks

I had same problem with sync on RedHat6.1 and samba-2.1.prealpha.
I found that second response in chat sometimes didn't arrive to passwd.
Two times everything goes fine and 10 times not.
I solved this problem by hacking smbd/chpasswd.c. I changed IPC between
smbd and passwd from terminal pair to two pipes. After this everything was
o.k. Maybe problem is in something else (bad parameters of used terminal
dev). But i didn't understand why such IPC was used.
Any comment will be fine.

Cus. O.H.