TNG works with Win2k, fails with Win98

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Mon Feb 21 05:32:13 GMT 2000

> > functionality now, with the consequences that your system may be
> > unreliable?
>
> I would call that a bug fix, but I agree the line is blurry.

not helped by me basically going, hm, what shall i do with samba today,
for over two years.  also not helped by this nt domains thing being so...
comprehensive, youu really _can't_ take it in stages (well , you can, and
we have: nt domain member, the 2.0.x series; the next stage is full nt
domain support).

> Luke, everybody thinks you are amazing.  When anybody says "You
> should...", they actually mean, "Might you please consider..."

now you've gon and embarrased me, there's a thousand people on this list!
:)

> *Nobody* making suggestions feels anything towards you other than
> gratitude and a bit of awe.  It's just that some of us really want to
> use your stuff in a production environment soon.  (In my case, very,
> very soon...)

yeah, that's waht happened two years ago, too.  well, if that's really
what you want, then every time you come across a problem, give me a decent
report and track down the bug to actual lines of code or a speciic DEBUG
message.

> Anyway, I apologize if I touched a nerve.  Go rewrite the RPC layer
> from scratch again if it will make you happy :-).

well i _would_ be more comfortable with auto-generated code.  once you
have the basic types right, and you're happy with all of them, it's much
easier to be confident that some new auto-generated code is also going to
be ok.  we're still coming across 4-byte alignment issues, and it's been
over two years, now.

_but_... that's going to take a while, so we'll roll with the hand-coded
stuff for now.  we need to write an IDL compiler.

lukes