TNG works with Win2k, fails with Win98

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at cag.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Feb 21 01:00:54 GMT 2000

The story so far...

My current problem appears to be that this call:

  msrpc_lsa_query_trust_passwd("\\\\.", "$MACHINE.ACC", trust_passwd, NULL))

...does not always place the same value in trust_passwd.  This is
causing my logons to fail from time to time.

Could this have something to do with the fact that I never created a
machine account for my Samba PDC?  Just in case, I tried to create one
like so (EGGHEAD is both the PDC and local host):

  samedit -S . -U root -l log
  createuser EGGHEAD$ -j

And the result was:

  SAM Create Domain User
  Domain: TEST Name: EGGHEAD$ ACB: [W          ]
  Create Domain User: OK
  Join EGGHEAD to Domain TEST
  Set $MACHINE.ACC: OK

However, when I examine smbpasswd, no entry has been created for
EGGHEAD$.  The same sequence works fine for creating other accounts,
just not this one.  Yes, I have a user "root" in smbpasswd.  Yes, I
have an EGGHEAD$ account in /etc/passwd.

What am I doing wrong?  How can I create an entry for my PDC in
smbpasswd?  Should I care that I can't?

 - Pat