TNG works with Win2k, fails with Win98

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Sun Feb 20 08:57:12 GMT 2000

OK,

Now, from Win98 I get:

   You were successfully logged on to SAMBA1 as win95user by \\LINSRV1 with
   USER privilege.

Make it Sam Bass please.  We drink real beer here in Oz :-)

Actually, I would not advise sending a case of beer to OZ.  Keep it until I
get to a conference in the US!  Then we can share it among the members of
the team who are there.

I will upload the fixes to the CVS tree soon.  If you do not have access to
the CVS tree, please ask Luke nicely.

At 12:09 PM 2/19/00 +1100, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
>We have been authenticating Win98 users against Samba 2.0.5a for a
>long time, but I need a real PDC by next week (ahem) or the Powers
>That Be just might start imposing a real NT infrastructure.
>
>So I checked out TNG this afternoon at 1:50 P.M. EST (6:50 UTC), built
>it on a test machine, hacked up a smb.conf file to make it Domain
>Controller for a domain named "TEST", and copied smbpasswd from our
>existing installation.
>
>The result is that a Windows 2000 box can join the domain and
>authenticate users.  Nice work!  The native Win2k user admin tools
>tend to crash, but some command-line thingamys in the Resource Kit
>provide enough functionality (specifically, adding a domain account to
>the local Administrators group) that we can live with it.
>
>The only problem is that I can no longer authenticate Windows 98.  It
>says "your password is invalid or your logon share is inaccessible" or
>somesuch.  Note that this is the same TEST domain and user login which
>worked on Windows 2000, so I do not think my configuration is the
>problem.  But who knows.
>
>I have a 55K level 10 debug log of the entire failed effort; I would
>be glad to send that and my smb.conf to any interested parties.  I am
>also a reasonably competent C hacker with lots of spare time available
>this weekend...
>
> - Pat

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course