TNG works with Win2k, fails with Win98

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Sun Feb 20 02:06:09 GMT 2000

Hi,

At 03:15 AM 2/20/00 +1100, Lonnie J. Borntreger wrote:
>Finally.  I'm no longer the only one talking about this problem.
>
>STATUS: Samba TNG does not support Win9x authentication.  I ONLY works for
>users on NT or 2000.
>
>SOLUTION: Somebody with access to an NT PDC based domain needs to do a
>netmon trace of a successful domain login and a successful GETDC request
>from a Win9x machine and send it to Luke Leighton (lkcl at samba.org).  Once he
>has that, he will fix the implementation.
>
>CAVEAT: I've asked for someone to do that trace several times in the last
>4-6 months, and no-one has stepped forward and done it.

OK,

It is the LM MD4 hash part that is failing ... I can't see yet what is
wrong, as the code has changed a lot, but the functions look the same.

I wonder, is there any way to force Samba to use the same challenge all the
time?  I need to be able to compare the results of Samba-TNG and
Samba-2.0.6 to see if they produce the same result.

>TTFN,
>Lonnie Borntreger

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course