TNG works with Win2k, fails with Win98

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at cag.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Feb 19 01:04:36 GMT 2000

We have been authenticating Win98 users against Samba 2.0.5a for a
long time, but I need a real PDC by next week (ahem) or the Powers
That Be just might start imposing a real NT infrastructure.

So I checked out TNG this afternoon at 1:50 P.M. EST (6:50 UTC), built
it on a test machine, hacked up a smb.conf file to make it Domain
Controller for a domain named "TEST", and copied smbpasswd from our
existing installation.

The result is that a Windows 2000 box can join the domain and
authenticate users.  Nice work!  The native Win2k user admin tools
tend to crash, but some command-line thingamys in the Resource Kit
provide enough functionality (specifically, adding a domain account to
the local Administrators group) that we can live with it.

The only problem is that I can no longer authenticate Windows 98.  It
says "your password is invalid or your logon share is inaccessible" or
somesuch.  Note that this is the same TEST domain and user login which
worked on Windows 2000, so I do not think my configuration is the
problem.  But who knows.

I have a 55K level 10 debug log of the entire failed effort; I would
be glad to send that and my smb.conf to any interested parties.  I am
also a reasonably competent C hacker with lots of spare time available
this weekend...

 - Pat