caldera make file changes

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Feb 18 19:55:49 GMT 2000

David,

I don't know if this helps, but on my RH60 setup I did the following:

* back up smb.conf
* back up /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb (it would be /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba on Caldera)
* Completely deinstall Samba using rpm
* ./configure, make and make install, allowing everything to go into
/usr/local/samba tree
* Tweak /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba for the new locations
* Tweak other init files for the new path and manpath

The advantage I now see is I can toggle between different versions simply
by switching symbolic link /usr/local/samba between version specific
directories, and stopping and restarting the daemons.

Like I say, this might not be appropriate for your situation, but I like it.

Steve Litt