Roaming profiles with W98 clients

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Feb 18 11:01:24 GMT 2000

At 11:32 AM 2/18/00 +1100, Godfrey Livingstone wrote:
>Roaming profiles are not broken totally in 2.06 if you read earlier
>discussion to this group the change between 2.05a and 2.06 means that in
>the on win9x machines you need to put "net use h: /home" in the user.bat
>script and enable "login home = \\%L\Profiles\U%" in the smb.conf file
>rather than using "login profile = \\%L\Profiles\%U".

Ummm, no!

Roaming profiles are not broken in 2.0.6.  They were broken in 2.0.5a.

Support for roaming profiles is different for Win9X than for WinNT.

For WinNT you set logon path, for Win9X the best you can do is set logon
home.  That is, you can do:

   logon home = \\%L\%U\.profiles

And net use/home works and profiles go in the .profiles directory!

After having given Australia's first two-day, commercial, Samba course, I
can say that hod dot files appears to be broken in Samba 2.0.6.

>On my network 3 x 95 and 2 x 98 the h drive does not show up when the user
>explore of this I am pleased so that no tampering is done but profiles do
>work in 2.06 admittedly differently than in 2.05a.
>
>Godfrey
>

>Matthew M Lavy wrote:
>

>> > Roaming profiles are *broken* in 2.06. They work just fine on 2.05a.
>>
>> Just for the record, NT roaming profiles work fine in 2.0.6.
>>
>> --
>> Matthew M Lavy BA MPhil ARCM LTCL
>> Jesus College, Cambridge CB5 8BL
>> Tel: +44 1223 511338
>> email: mml1000 at jesus.cam.ac.uk

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course