Roaming profiles with W98 clients

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Feb 18 10:36:08 GMT 2000

At 07:27 AM 2/18/00 +1100, eirvine wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Roaming profiles are *broken* in 2.06. They work just fine on 2.05a.

Sigh, ...

This is just not true. I wrote at depth about roaming profiles, Win 9X and
Samba 2.0.6 versus 2.0.5a some time only about three weeks ago.

Under Windows 9X, roaming profiles go in the home share!  The 2.0.5a
behaviour breaks net use /home, which is wrong.

There is a kludge that you can use to get roaming profiles out of the home
directory, but they can only go into a subdirectory of the home share.

Dredge up my postings in samba-technical or samba-ntdom on this subject, as
after giving Australia's first commercial two-day Samba course, I an very
tired and noticed many problems in 2.0.6.

I have however, added documentation to 2.0.7 to explain how to use logon
home for Win9X and that logon path has nothing to do with Win9X.

>Eddie.
>
>JF HUNEZ wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I run Samba 2.06 as PDC and the clients are Win98 machines
>> only.
>> Roaming profiles don't work, there is no user.dat in the profiles
>> share, only the START folder.
>> I have read the doc in /usr/doc and the NTDOM faq too ; my
>> smb.conf  meets the recommendations.
>> Roaming profiles need a NT server on the network ??
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>>   JF HUNEZ
>> Reunion Island

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course