Help, Samba dissappeared with NT domain....

Steve Schow sjs at bstage.com
Fri Feb 18 02:35:24 GMT 2000

I have a complicated situation and I need some help to make it work.

I started out with 2 PC's in a home network.  One is a laptop running NT
4.0SP5 and the other is a PC running Redhat Linux 6.1.  I was quickly able
to get Samba running in that configuration and use it as both a print server
and file server.  My NT laptop was able to send print jobs and access shared
directories on the Linux/Samba machine.....

So far so good.

But the plot thickens.....

My laptop is setup so that when I am at work, I can connect to the company
NT domain and have full access to their NT domain services.  For sake of
argument, this NT domain is called "IOU".  whenever I login to this NT
laptop, I always use my NT domain login and password, even if I am not at
work connected on their network.  For example, let's say my login name is
"jon".  Then I always login to the NT laptop as "IOU/jon".  That way I
always have the same user profile, etc..  When I am on the road, I can dial
in from a hotel and as soon as I connect to the network, it recognizes me as
part of the IOU NT domain and gives me all the NT domain services....

So far so good...

We also have  VPN system in place.  We use some software called
"Securemote", which allows us to dial in to *ANY* ISP, establish an internet
connection and then be able to get through to our internal network, through
the firewall.  With this system we can dial in to any ISP and actually
connect to the IOU NT domain and use all the NT domain services....

Good so far, but here is where the problem lies.....

I got DSL at home, which means that when I plug the laptop in at home, it
connects to the internet, stays on the internet, has a static IP address,
etc.... and because of the VPN (which is a good thing) gets access to all my
company's internal NT domain services on the IOU NT domain.  However, since
getting the DSL line and getting this access to IOU, I can no longer seem to
access my local Samba server (which is *NOT* part of the IOU NT domain).

I am guessing this is because my Samba machine is not registered on the real
IOU NT domain controller, and since I now have good access the the real IOU
NT domain controller, when I try to map a drive to the samba machine, or
setup a remote printer on the samba machine....my laptop is looking to the
IOU domain controller to tell me if that's ok and its saying "no Way".

That's just a guess......and I have absolutely no idea what I can do to get
around this problem.

I am hoping that one of you NTDOM experts out there will know exactly what I
need to do.....

Please Oh Please....!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance

-steve