NIS and NT PDCs?

Seth Vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Feb 17 15:23:35 GMT 2000

> Forgot to include the link to the NISgina stuff if you want it.
> Here's one for general information.
> 	http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/cartegw/win32/tools.html
>
> However Gernot's site was offline last I checked so you can
> get anything of his from
>
> 	ftp://ftp.eng.auburn.edu/pub/cartegw/nisgina/

I think the question that he has is similar to mine:

 I have about 50-60 linux/unix users and about 20-40 winnt users on my
network - currently the NT folks are using nisgina and the plaintext reg
patch to access a samba 2.0.6 system. - this works ok but its not very
graceful and doesn't give me much in the way of profiles etc etc.

I'd like to make all the NT users authenticate against a samba PDC (TNG)
and use/set the same password as the nis passwd file has.

I know it will take two password files (b/c it has two different 1-way
hashes) but has anyone setup and had good tests on a system like this?

I'm worried about the password updating (both from unix passwd change-> to
NT and vice-versa)

any suggestions or pointers?

-sv