SAMBA server crashing

Johnson Anthony E Civ 27 IS/INYN anthony.johnson at langley.af.mil
Wed Feb 16 15:16:13 GMT 2000

		Hello all,

		I am a novice at best when it comes to SAMBA and UNIX, I am
an NT administrator at heart and could use some help. We are running Windows
Terminal Server in a Solaris environment and using SAMBA to map the users
home directories on UNIX and for printing. We are constantly having to
restart the SAMBA services because they are always crashing 2-3 times a day
at least. We have no more than 50 simultaneous users at any given time so it
seems that something is not right. Our SAMBA server is an Ultra 10 running
on Fore ATM. Our network uses a combo of ATM, FDDI,  and 10mb/ethernet. We
have tried Version 2.5, 2.6, and we currently have 2.3 set up. All three had
the same results, we have changed servers as well as switched to Ethernet
and FDDI. Nothing seems to work.

		I have been looking into different settings for TCP_NODELAY.
I was going to experiment with setting SO_RCVBUF and SO_SNDBUF but, do not
know what to set the integer values to. Could anyone give me some advice on
how to get SAMBA running reliable? We would love to have it stay up all day
and not worry about it. I have attached a copy of my smb.conf file for
anyone's input. Pay no attention to the Print command, I know it looks bad,
but we have a weird requirement.

		Thanks in advance for any help!

		Anthony Johnson
		Network Administrator