Win2k and Samba TNG

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Wed Feb 16 04:44:38 GMT 2000

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Jason Jensen wrote:

> it says it cannot change the trust account password. Another problem i
> am having is when i go into win2k and get a listing of users in any
> way.. or look at a security tab with a sid from the DOMAIN.. mmc.exe
> or explorer.exe crashes.. i cannot explain this one.

nt5's explorer.exe crashes?  damn, they were supposed to have made the nt5
code more robust.  well, it's client-side, so that means we got things to
fix.

however [and this goes to the bcc recipients], problems client-side aren't
critical, except there is the possibility of some third party,
not-quite-developed server being added to a network, in some fashion, and
nt clients (and maybe servers) fall over because some user-action or just
general network browsing.

if that happens in LSASS.EXE because, say, the response back from the
LsaLookupSids or LsaLookupNames is badly-formed, then a user viewing
security permissions of a file on the not-quite-developed server could
cause some damage.

plus. other people are using LsaLookupids and LsaLookupNames to look at
accounts on, say, 2.0.2 samba servers, and your code [the bcc recipients
are at microsoft] is causing memory exceptions in those third-party
programs, causing the program to become unstable (particularly if it's a
threaded app) or even take out the box the application is running on!

it's not a high priority, but it _does_ need to be fixed.

best regards,

luke