UNIX passwd sync problem

Ondrej Hanak hanak at IRIS.osu.cz
Tue Feb 15 12:41:44 GMT 2000

Hello everybody,
i had problem with subject few days ago. I was looking for older mails in
NTDOM and found that a lot of people had same problem.
Many people reported that passwd program dies while smbd talks to.
Or no response causes empty responsebuf in log file. Such like:

[2000/02/14 13:43:42, 100] smbd/chgpasswd.c:talktochild(276)
  talktochild: chatbuf=[*successfull*] responsebuf=[]
[2000/02/14 13:43:42, 3] smbd/chgpasswd.c:talktochild(279)
  response 3 incorrect

I tried analyze smbd/chgpasswd.c. I found, that for IPC between smbd and
passwd terminal pair was used. I must say that i don't understand why.
I changed IPC from terminal pair to two pipes (standard IPC, well
explained by W. R. Stevens in UNIX network programming). Now everything
goes fine. UNIX password syncing works as expected.

I am using RedHat Linux 6.1 (glibc2.1) with kernel 2.2.13 and
samba2.1.0-prealpha.

Anybody who is interested in this solution can mail me. And i'll send
source code back.

Nice day with great SAMBA software ;)

O.H.