Unable to see Samba server in Network Neighborhood

informatique informatique at cssf.lu
Tue Feb 15 09:54:46 GMT 2000

Hello,

I try to set up Samba (version 2.0.5a-12) on Redhat 6.1 and I don't
succeed in seeing the Samba server (name INPDC)  in Network Neighborhood

on a NT Workstation (SP 6a). The Netbios Name resolution doesn't work
either (no WINS Server used in the NT network, neither a domain
controller): I need to give the IP address to make a "net view" for
example.

In fact, when I try to do: "ping inpdc", NT tries to ping localhost
address (127.0.0.1).
When I make then: "nbtstat -A 10.150.16.1" (IP address of Samba server),

NT returns that Name INPDC is registered.
When finally I do "nbtstat -c", he gives IP address 127.0.0.1 for INPDC

NT finds INPDC when I do "Find Computer".

For simle testing, I use a very simple configuration file, which I
think, should be able at least to show me the Server in network
neighborhood. I've tried with more complete configuration files, but the

result was always the same.

Here my smb.conf file:
[Common]
    path = /home/common