Samba and Deleted files

Jon Doyle Jon at document-solutions.com
Mon Feb 14 17:35:49 GMT 2000

A Network Trash Can? You mean do this On a second box (NT Server)? I could add a PDC that just sits there in this function as we have some old Servers, but I would prefer to have the Linux Servers do the work as I want to rid the old gear for reliability.

Jon

Jon R. Doyle
Systems Administrator
Document Solutions, Inc.
1611 Telegraph Avenue Ste. 1010
Oakland, Ca. 94612
510-986-0250

>>> Seth Vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> 02/13/00 08:51PM >>>
> One issue we came up with is deletion of files. Does any one know how
> we might get a solution to this? I mean if there is a large Network
> share and someone deletes a file....we do not want to be called every
> day to grab the DLT.
are they currently using a trashcan or some-such nonsense?

you should be able to create a network trashcan that saves files. - its an
NT adjustment though.

another option is to dump the last days backups to disk and then roll to
tape at nite.

that way you have 1 days worth on fast media.
-sv