From smbpasswd to passwd

Aaron D. Brooks abrooks at css.tayloru.edu
Sat Feb 12 19:59:45 GMT 2000

> Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 06:38:45 +1100
> From: Peter Samuelson <peter at cadcamlab.org>
> To: Multiple recipients of list SAMBA-NTDOM <samba-ntdom at samba.org>
> Subject: Re: From smbpasswd to passwd
>

> [Luca Micheletti]
> > Now i have my text file smbpasswd style, but i need these users in
> > /etc/passwd not in smbpasswd.
>
> Can't be done.  Unix passwd and NT smbpasswd formats are both one-way
> hashes and they are not compatible.  The best you can do is change
> everyone's passwords (or ask them to) using a utility that changes both
> at once.  Samba is one such utility, if you set "passwd chat" and
> friends to the right values.

Actually, since you have the piss-poor LM hash you can run the smb.passwd
file through something like L0phtCrack ("It sniffs through registry files
[sic] like an anteater on dexadrene..." ;) even with a good password
policy in place you will probably get most of the passwords in about half
of a day on a beefy machine (PIII 500 Dual/512Mb). You can then use a perl
script to back merge the smb.passwd data and the passwords into a unix
passwd file. Then only a small percentage of the population needs to
change their passwords. If you have a couple of days to spare, you could
make that percentage pretty low. (The only bad thing is that L0phtCrack
only runs on Win32.) We did something remotely like this here at TU.

-A.

+------->
Aaron D. Brooks,  765 . 998 . 5168
Computing Systems Resource Manager