NT registry Permission problem

Aaron D. Brooks abrooks at css.tayloru.edu
Sat Feb 12 03:21:33 GMT 2000

> Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 07:46:33 +1100
> From: Zhi-Wei Lu <zwluxx at chopin.cipic.ucdavis.edu>
>
> I have finally figured out the problem. I think that it is due mainly
> to NT rather than the SAMBA server.  I have to delete the local profile
> on each NT machine and the NTUSER.DAT on the roaming profile.  After I
> rejoin the samba controlled domain (2.0.6), I have the proper
> registry permission now.  Apparently that when you rejoin a domain or
> join a new domain (in my case, all samba controlled), the local profile
> and the roaming profile conflicts with each other, user ends up with
> crippled privilege.  Thanks for all your help, especially Phil Mayers'
> post on NTuser.dat file which shed some light on my problem.

There are other silly events which can corrupt NTUSER.DAT (like _using
it_ for example (MSKB Q189061)) :( . Since we use a lot of reg files to
alter peoples environments we run into this a fair ammount.

The more obnixious thing is that our policy has NT deleting the NTUSER.DAT
and rest of the profile on logout... IN THEORY!!! In actuallity the
profile gets deleted less than 10% of the time. The DAT file stays locked
too long and the logout just leaves the whole mess. This is particularly
annoying since profile changes are non-peristent. Like that icon on my
desktop that I deleted a week ago just reappeared again. Dang.

Does any one have any insight on forcing profiles OFF on logout? :) Even
the "at" (er,... cron? ;) job that tries to delete the profiles only works
after the machine has been rebooted. The locks stay until you bounce the
machine.

-A.

+------->
Aaron D. Brooks,  765 . 998 . 5168