The sameNetscape Profile on every machine

Todd Pfaff pfaff at edge.cis.mcmaster.ca
Wed Feb 9 22:03:53 GMT 2000

this is how i do it...

after installing netscape on an nt workstation, set these registry keys:

\Registry\Machine\SOFTWARE\Netscape\Netscape Navigator\Users
    =
    CurrentUser = Default
        DirRoot = h:\.netscape
        UserName =
        EmailAddr =

then add something like this to your nt workstation logon script:

rem copy netscape preferences file if it doesn't exist.
if not exist H:\.netscape md H:\.netscape
if not exist H:\.netscape\prefs.js xcopy /f /v
  s:\netscape\users\default\prefs.js H:\.netscape\

this will create a default h:\.netscape profile directory at user logon if
it does not yet exist.  you could also do a little more work to, for
example, merge global changes to the netscape preferences into each user's
h:\.netscape\prefs.js.

h: is mapped to the user's unix/nt shared home directory on a samba
server.  h:\.netscape is then shared by netscape in both unix and nt
environments.  as far as i know, this is working fine as of netscape 4.7
(at least no one has complained to me about problems with their netscape
preferences when moving between the two platforms).

Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff at mcmaster.ca
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920
ABB 132                              \  FAX: (905) 528-3773
McMaster University                   \
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada  L8S 4M1     \