SYSKEY, TNG freeze, 2.0.x->TNG merge and other thoughts

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Wed Feb 9 17:28:14 GMT 2000

On Wed, 9 Feb 100 jeremy at varesearch.com wrote:

> > > wrong. the smb/rpc layer (the prs_struct structure) is much cleaner in
> > > HEAD. Some RPC functions have been rewritten in HEAD and must be kept.
> >
> > don't want to do it.  point me in the direction of specific functions and
> > i'll rewrite them in TNG.
> >
> > i don't want ANY of the dce/rpc code from 2_0 or cvs main in any future
> > version of samba, i have no idea of its trustworthiness.
> >
> > there _is_ one feature i do want: the byte-ordering that jeremy added.
>
> Actually luke, don't mix up the RPC server/client stub code
> with the RPC *implementation* code in 2.0.x. The implementation

i wasn't.

> code in 2.0.x is much more reliable than the TNG code (not
> the actual server/client functions though).

just because it's been running in production for two yeasrs doesn't mimply
that uit's good code or does the correct job.

for example, that patch to srv_reg.c by hp?  it iit turns samba from a pdc
to a domain-member.  that means that running usrmgr.exe or running
srvmgr.exe wilon samba will report the wrong info, and may cause
usrmgr.exe to fail, or become "musrmgr" which can't do domain groups!

as i kept requesting you repeatedly every single damn time i saw a mod to
the rpc implementation (serve-side) code, i don't _want_ any code from the
2-=year-old branch to be in a future release of samba, therefore i
repeatedly asked you to kdual-mod what is now tng and what is 2_0. reason:
when the time comes, i dont want _any_ 2_0 rpc code in the resultant
release.

so, i'll do a cvs diff from 2 years ago, review what's been added and make
sure it's in tng.

if you don't trust _me_ to do that job, please consider doing it yourself.

because i certainly don't trust any of the [very limited, small, alpha,
first-version, development-quality] 2_0 rpc code -- server, marshalling
_or_ client.