Browsing and stuff

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Wed Feb 9 02:54:12 GMT 2000

Hi,

At 12:26 PM 2/9/00 +1100, Matthew Geddes wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>If I have two Samba servers set up like so:
>
>    os level = 65
>    domain master = yes
>    local master = yes
>    preferred master = yes
>
>and
>
>    os level = 60
>    domain master = yes
>    local master = yes
>    preferred master = yes
>
>and the top machine goes down, will that force an election that will
>then be won by the second machine? If not, is it a built in thing or a
>"Matt's configured it wrong" thing?

No, it will not necessarily force an election.  The things that will cause
an election are:

  1. A client trying to browse (send GetBackupList) and not getting a
     response within the timeout.

  2. A backup browser trying to get the browse list from the master
     and not getting a response.

  3. A server coming up and having prefered master = yes

  4. Maybe something else.

You have not necessarily configured it wrong, but you do not need the
preferred master on the second server, as that just forces it to have an
election when it comes up, which is useless if the other one is running, I
think.

>Also, does Samba BDC pass all authrentication on to the PDC, or does it
>cache or store a copy of the SAM?

PDC keeps its own copy of the SAM.  Samba TNG's rpcclient program contains
a samsync command, IIRC.

>Thanks heaps,
>
>Matt

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course