SYSKEY, TNG freeze, 2.0.x->TNG merge and other thoughts

David Edwards dpe at clark.net
Tue Feb 8 20:22:10 GMT 2000

More gratuitous advice:

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
> Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams at wdr.com> writes:
>
> >  - TNG code freeze
> >
> >    Don't do it yet; wait a few more weeks. So much progress is taking
> >    place that it seems worthwhile to wait a bit longer.
>
> I disagree.  Official PDC support for Samba has been "coming real
> soon" for, what, three years now?  It is long past time to stabilize
> this stuff, whatever the feature set, and get it out there.  Release
> early, release often.

Pick a date for a freeze. Better yet, pick a date for a feature freeze,
then spend two weeks fixing bugs for a final freeze that gets released to
anyone waiting to do a merge back to the 2.0.x series. And then resume
development.

As for dates: maybe the first Monday of March for the feature freeze,
with a "final" freeze on the third Monday of March? I'm not demanding a
freeze, I'm just throwing out dates to get people thinking about a
timeline... Feel free to tell me to butt out.

Y'all are doing absolutely stellar work... keep it up!