FW: SYSKEY2. Request For Comments

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Tue Feb 8 17:19:42 GMT 2000

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, geoffrey lee wrote:

> hi,
>
> but what will be exactly the use of this new feature? i think that luke has
> yet to explain that to everyone.

:) sorry.

> right now, all i have seen is arguments as to whether it should be
> implemented or not, but not _why_ it should be there, well, no solid reasons
> anyway.

ok, let me try again.  ldap, mysql, nis+ all don't store passwords
encrypted or access-protected by default, and some of these remote
database-like systems don't _have_ password encryption.

in this case, i'd still like samba admins to be able to use these
protocols, without even having to KNOW that their passwords are protected
over-the-wire.

i.e if they didn't read the damn documentation, they still don't get
screwed over, and we don't end up with a report on bugtraq.

 ISBN1578701503 DCE/RPC over SMB: Samba and Windows NT Domain Internals