SYSKEY2. Request For Comments

Sander Striker s.striker at striker.nl
Tue Feb 8 12:40:52 GMT 2000

>> sorry ppl, fed up with arguing and explaining this, my hands are now
>> constantly hurting.  i'm creating a syskey2, it's going in the source
>> code, if you don't like it, jeremy, well, work it out for yourself as to
>> why it's needed.
>
>Luke, this is *not* going into the shipping source, for reasons I
>have already explained.

This may be, but are you also following the thread in samba-tech? I don't
think you two are on the same level of communication. :-)

>This is why I don't like you running off
>in a branch. This is why your branches get abandoned.

Hey, this is not very nice. Luke's branch is probably the most active
branch around and people are checking it out. Just look at the traffic
on ntdom. Anyhow, Luke's DC code is really neccesairy to make Samba a
mature product.

>You have not demonstrated a need for this, you have not demonstrated
>how it improves security in *any* way. You are just adding this as
>NT does it. This is not a good enough reason.

Granted, if this is what is happening. But, it is not. Just talk to
Luke and get arguing on the same subject.

>This will just make mine and Andrews job of extracting the *useful*
>code from your branch even more difficult. And it's already *too*
>difficult.

Maybe the other way around is easier done :-) :-)

>You have already implemented the UNIX daemon admin that was decided
>to be undesirable.

It would be undesirable if it would stay implemented this way. However
it is not. I volunteered to implement the svcctl code in a way that
you can use third party plugins, so samba's not to blame. This is btw
Andrew's suggestion when you check the postings.

>You have to stop doing these things and listen to others.

Sometimes, areas have to be explored to find something usefull. Sometimes
though, exploration doesn't lead to anything. That's life. The usefull
things that do come out of it though, are worth it.

>Then again, I think soon you'll *have* to do that :-) :-).

And then again, some good communication both ways couldn't hurt. :-)

>Jeremy.

Sander Striker

PS. Any thoughts on the release date of 3.0? Next quarter, or next year?