SYSKEY2. Request For Comments

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Mon Feb 7 18:09:44 GMT 2000

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000 jeremy at valinux.com wrote:

> > phil, this isn't about root being trusted or untrusted.  it's about making
> > sure that only root can decode a password stored in a location in a
> > publicly accessible file.
> >

> > On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Phil Mayers wrote:
> >
> > > I'm afraid I agree. If you don't trust root, then you're screwed. If
> > > someones get a root shell on the machine, you're deader than courdroy.
> > > They can essentially do anything, hence it adds no real security, just
> > > puts another step in the way.
>
> But passwords should *never* be stored in a publicly accessible
> file - not even obfuscated !

for, say, ldap, which is publicly accessible, we don't have any choice.

> Luke - just because NT does it doesn't mean it is a good
> idea. Don't code this up. If you do it'll be a waste of
> your efforts as it will not go into a stable release.

jeremy, that's silly.

if this was only a matter of local-filesystem-based password storage, i
wouldn't bother, or i would be pushing the off-line storage of syskey
more.

but it's not.  think.  ldap.  sql.  nis+.  we can't trust them, and
they're all publicly accessible network protocols.

> If the key is stored off machine in some way then that's a
> different matter, as that actually does add some security.

that is one option.

> It would, however, mean that human intervention is needed
> to restart Samba on a machine. Every time (no unattended boots).

yes. for those people prepared to pay that price, fine.