win98 and roaming profiles..

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Sun Feb 6 20:26:05 GMT 2000

At 08:40 PM 2/7/00 +1100, Lars Kneschke wrote:
>Dominik Kubla wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 03:22:08PM +1100, Tim Radigan wrote:
>> > ok, i just switched my school computer back to win98 from winNT and it
seems
>> > that roaming profiles and/or the home directories aren't working the
way NT
>> > handled them.. i'll post my smb.conf file after the base of this
message..
>> > any help would be appreciated.. i'm not even sure that samba and/or win98
>> > supports profiles for a win98 -> samba connection.. let me know if anyone
>> > has any suggestions.. here is my smb.conf file:
>>
>> My guess is that it's a Win98 problem, because i am experiencing the same
>> problem here with Win98 and a WinNT4 server... Sigh!
>Wich Samba version do you use?
>Samba 2.0.6 has a problem with homedirectories or profiles. Only one is
>working correctly.

Well, that is not exactly true.  Win9X does different things than Win NT
does WRT profiles ...

With Win9X you can only have profiles in the home directory, but using a
trick you can put your profiles into a subdirectory of your home share, ie:

   logon home = \\%L\%u\profiles

With this, net use /home works as you would expect, and profiles go in the
profiles go in the profiles directory.

I suspect that if you did something similar on WinNT server in UserManager
for Domains, Win 9X would work the same way.

>Cu
>--
>Lars Kneschke
>NetUSE Kommunikationstechnologie GmbH
>Siemenswall, D-24107 Kiel, Germany
>Fon: +49 431 386435 00   --   Fax: +49 431 386435 99

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course