SYSKEY2. Request For Comments

jeremy at valinux.com jeremy at valinux.com
Fri Feb 4 18:32:00 GMT 2000

> i need to make the sam database read-accessible to all unix users.  just
> like /etc/passwd.
>
> therefore, i need to encrypt the passwords [or as elrond suggested, keep
> them in a separate database that is root-only accessible] with a root-only
> accessible syskey.

No, you don't want to give even encrypted access to the hash
values to ordinary users.

And if you keep the hashaes seperately in a root accessible
only file (like the current smbpasswd file), then you don't
need to encrypt the file - just as we don't encrypt the root
read only smbpasswd right now.

It's a waste of time and effort. Don't do it !

SYSKEY is just a pathetic attempt to add obscurity
to a system unless the root key is kep t separately
off the machine on a floppy - that's the only reason
it would add *any* security.

Jeremy.