Samba 2.0.7 and user accounts with NT

Gary McNickle gary at sunstorm.net
Fri Dec 29 14:26:09 GMT 2000

  I've recently installed a linux box running samba 2.0.7 on our NT 4
domain and, while it is working, I've run into a few problems that I was
hoping someone could help with...

1:  The book I have "Samba Primer Plus" seems to imply that by using the
NT PDC as the password server for Samba and setting Samba up to use
Domain security, I should be able to avoid having to have user accounts
on the linux machine that match the NT accounts.  This has not proven to
be accurate.  The only way I seem to be able to access the smb shares is
if the user connecting has a valid account on the linux box.  Did I
misunderstand here? Is it possible to set Samba up (securely) so that I
dont have to have user accounts on the linux machine?

2:  We have development houses out of state/country that I would like
very much for them to be able to access the Samba shares remotely.
However, when they try (or a user tries from home), the authentication
fails of course because the local Domain and the login Domain/Workgroup
are different and the PDC is unable to authenticate for the remote
domain (user unknown)... Is their a way around this that also works with
my first question?

  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Gary McNickle