NT Password Authentication

Troy Bowman tbowman at aros.net
Fri Dec 29 00:56:54 GMT 2000

I've looked around in the archives, cant seem to find anything of worth
with my question.  We need to set up a samba server for one purpose:

We have one nt server box on our network which does frontpage service for
our customers.  Its passwords are separate from our unix world.  We need
to set up a samba PDC of sorts, and all we need it to do is auth
username/password pairs for the frontpage server.  Of course, this would
mean making the samba PDC pull its information and authenticate from the
system password file, not a smbpasswd file.  I'm wondering if there is a
simple way to do this.  Does anyone know about some documentation out
there that describes this?  I also wonder if I have to go through the
trouble of making my samba box a PDC and have the frontpage box join the
domain if all it's going to do is auth passwords.

I've installed samba 2.2.0alpha1.  Would this be sufficient for my needs?

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

...troy.