Speaking of Suppressing Domain Logins...

Armand Welsh armand at welshhome.org
Tue Dec 26 22:22:52 GMT 2000

by the time the system will allow you to run a .reg file w/o call regedit
from the command line, it's too late.  The decision about whether a domain
exists or not, has already happened.  About the only way I can think of
supporting this function, is to use perl and ping the pdc and grep the
output for "Reply from", if it exists.

ping -t 4 192.168.1.1 | find /C "Reply from" > c:\pingres.txt

the pingres.txt file will contain the number of succesfull pings.  The -t 4,
specifies to ping 4 times. Using a perl script, you can devide the value
stored in c:\pingres.txt by the number of pings (4), to get a host
availability ratio.  (multiply it by 100 for a percentage.)  then if the
percentage, or ratio is above a certain number, then execute regedit with
the appropriate file to be imported.  (from DOS only mode, i.e., windows has
not started yet, just type "regedit /?" for for a list of the command line
options.)  then in the autoexec.bat file do the following:

:autoexec.bat
net start
ping -t 4 mypdc | find /c "Reply from" > c:\pingres.txt
perl c:\myscript\testpdc.pl
net stop