Speaking of Suppressing Domain Logins...

George Cameron g.cameron at biomed.abdn.ac.uk
Thu Dec 21 18:53:51 GMT 2000

JBCurry wrote:

> Ironically, I configured a Win95 PC yesterday for our network that had
> previously been a stand-alone box, and it refuses to provide a domain login
> dialogue at boot-up.  I say "ironically" because (as you may have seen in
> earlier postings) I am currently looking for a method to suppress the domain
> login whenever a PDC is unavailable on the network.
>
> On the misbehaving PC, you can choose to "Close all programs and log on as
> another user" from the shut-down menu, and it will THEN bring up the domain
> login dialogue.  But it will not bring up the dialogue automatically on
> boot-up.

The following registry file will enable automatic logon. Removing the setting
from the registry will also achieve this effect, while setting the value to zero
will disable the automatic logon (this is probably what you have at the moment),
requiring you to choose to initiate logging on explictly from the shutdown menu.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Network\Real Mode
Net]
"Autologon"=hex:01

George

 George Cameron     g.cameron at biomed.abdn.ac.uk
 Dept. BioMedical Physics
 Aberdeen University
 Foresterhill     Fax:       +44 (0)1224-685645
 Aberdeen AB25 2ZD    Telephone: +44 (0)1224-553210
 Scotland, UK