Speaking of Suppressing Domain Logins...

JBCurry jbcurry at hline.localhealth.net
Thu Dec 21 17:41:56 GMT 2000

Ironically, I configured a Win95 PC yesterday for our network that had
previously been a stand-alone box, and it refuses to provide a domain login
dialogue at boot-up.  I say "ironically" because (as you may have seen in
earlier postings) I am currently looking for a method to suppress the domain
login whenever a PDC is unavailable on the network.

On the misbehaving PC, you can choose to "Close all programs and log on as
another user" from the shut-down menu, and it will THEN bring up the domain
login dialogue.  But it will not bring up the dialogue automatically on
boot-up.

I've seen the "Windows Logon" disabled before by using blank passwords for
the user login, or by removing the "Client for Windows Networking".
However, I have deleted all the *.pwl files, I have turned off all password
caching, and the client is installed and configured to "Log on to Windows NT
Domain".  It still refuses to present a domain login dialogue during boot.

Anybody have any ideas why this is happening?  If I can figure out what
settings make this possible, I might be able to use this method to suppress
domain login dialogues whenever a PDC is unavailable (due to server down,
network down, mobile users, etc..)