W2K joining SMB Server

Hazen Valliant-Saunders hazen at potentia.ca
Wed Dec 20 17:41:45 GMT 2000

Bonjour Jean:
	"I'lls y a un possion dans la poubelle!" yes i know very silly.  We used to
get anouncements like that in highschool.  (all the time) I went to french
imersion for many many years and am fluent in the launguage however i could
not write it to save my life.  Cultre aside, I need a hand with the latest
CVS,
I'd like to thank you for your time as i am sure you don't have much of it
(much like the rest of us.)  I have a couple questions.  I've been having
trouble adding users to the newest version apperantly no capitol letters in
the logon name, it's quite odd.  Also shoul there be any entries in
user.map?   (cause mine is empty) and could that very well be my problem
(lack of usernames in /usr/local/samba/lib/users.map?) and if so what is the
syntax involved?  here is a good example.
now i've renamed passwd cmd to passwd.old and symlinked passwd to smbpasswd.
OK?<-yes i am weird one of the many W2K workarounds sent to me was to do
exactly that.

-----------------------
root at XPDC hazen]# useradd -g admin -c 'Bridget Orr' -s /bin/false -n Bridget
[root at XPDC hazen]# /usr/bin/passwd.old Bridget
Changing password for user Bridget
New UNIX password:**********
BAD PASSWORD: it is based on a dictionary word
Retype new UNIX password:**********
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully
[root at XPDC hazen]# smbpasswd -U Bridget
New SMB password:**********
Retype new SMB password:**********
Failed to find entry for user Bridget.
Failed to modify password entry for user Bridget
----------------------
*/ Ok so that did not work i'll try it the old way /*

[root at XPDC lib]# passwd -a Bridget
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Added user Bridget.
*/ looks like it worked eh! /*
[root at XPDC lib]# smbclient -L XPDC -UBridget%**********
added interface ip=206.191.23.37 bcast=206.191.23.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair
in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
*/ AHA by jove it's completly foobar! :) /*
-----------------------
However: Look below!!

[root at XPDC lib]# useradd -g users -c 'test' -s /bin/false -d /dev/null -n
test
[root at XPDC lib]# /usr/bin/passwd.old test
Changing password for user test
New UNIX password:
BAD PASSWORD: it is too short
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully
[root at XPDC lib]# passwd -U test
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to find entry for user test.
Failed to modify password entry for user test
[root at XPDC lib]# passwd -a test
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Added user test.

*/Heres a little test of test for testing purposes/*

[root at XPDC lib]# smbclient -L XPDC -Utest%test
added interface ip=206.191.23.37 bcast=206.191.23.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Domain=[POTENTIA1] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.0-alpha1]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        homes          Disk
        netlogon       Disk
        profiles       Disk      Network Profiles
        Public         Disk      Public Share
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba 2.2.0-alpha1)
        test           Disk      Home directory of test

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        IO
        MARS
        MERCURY
        NEPTUNE
        PLUTO
        SATURN
        VENUS
        XPDC                 Samba 2.2.0-alpha1

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        POTENTIA1            XPDC
[root at XPDC lib]#
-----------------------
	But wait it continues! /* why the insanaty you ask because software
alphatesting is INSANE!!*/
-----------------------
[root at XPDC lib]# useradd -g users -c 'test' -s /bin/false -d /dev/null -n
TEST
[root at XPDC lib]# /usr/bin/passwd.old TEST
Changing password for user TEST
New UNIX password:
BAD PASSWORD: it is too short
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully
[root at XPDC lib]# passwd -U TEST			<-Oh my GOD it worked the first try (Mabye
theres a character limit?>
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Password changed for user TEST.

*/ For Refrence pourposes:-->>[root at XPDC lib]# ls -al /usr/bin/passwd
*/ lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Dec 15 13:29
/usr/bin/passwd -> /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd

[...]

		Very ODD indeed this hole seems to get deeper and deeper now the only
diffrence is the group (users and admin and the mixed spelling!) So lets
chekc the group firs i deleted Bridget completely then i did the following.
Exactly how deep is the rabbit hole !!! :):) red pill red pill he he he.
-----------------------

[root at XPDC bin]# adduser -g users -c 'test' -d /dev/null -s
/bin/false -nTestTestTest
[root at XPDC bin]# smbpasswd -a TestTestTest
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Added user TestTestTest.
[root at XPDC bin]# smbclient -L XPDC -UTestTestTest%TestTestTest
added interface ip=206.191.23.37 bcast=206.191.23.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair
in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
[root at XPDC bin]#
So lets check small character mangled cases
[root at XPDC bin]# adduser -g users -c 'test' -d /dev/null -s /bin/false -n
Test
[root at XPDC bin]# passwd Test
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Password changed for user Test.
[root at XPDC bin]# smbpasswd -a Test
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:    <-Hey wheres the "added user Test???"
[root at XPDC bin]#( Should be here eh! ???????????????????????)
*/ Well Just to be Sure well try it diffrently /*
OKOKOK
wait wait
ok
you can and should only do the said facet of adding users ie:
adduser
smbpasswd
nothing in between!!
finally it worked. but i had to copy smbpasswd to bin (does that really
accomplish anything?)
and the username can only have a user entry no passwd for the nix side of
things.

Hope this enlightens anyone with my problems and the Bug.