Samba scalability?

Shawn Wright swright at sls.bc.ca
Wed Dec 20 16:26:00 GMT 2000

I'm in the process of upgrading several of our NT4 servers, and
must decide what services I can safely migrate to Linux/Samba,
and which need to remain on NT.

Currently our two NT4 server carrying the heaviest file sharing load
deal with about 150 concurrent user connections, and will see 600-
1200 file locks during normal use. Most of this is user home
shares, with some shared network apps thrown in; clients are 90%
NT4 WKS, with some student win9x PCs and laptops.

I've run various low use samba servers over the past 5 years or so,
but have never attempted to fully replace an NT4 box as they have
been rock solid (surprisingly) for us. What samba issues should I
be prepared to address to deal with this kind of load? Does samba
benefit from an SMP system? How are the software RAID drivers
in Linux? (the current NT4 box I'm planning to migrate to Samba
over Linux is a PPro200 with 224Mb, and 3 Adaptec 3940UW
SCSI cards, with 4 9Gb Cheetah drives running software RAID -
stock NT4 drivers)

I've heard talk about open file limits in the smbd process - is this
only an issue with WTS clients? I'd appreciate any tips for tuning
samba for this type of environment.

One more big question: I'm not tied to Linux by any means, as I've
used various BSDs over the years, so I'd by interested to know if
there is a particular advantage to running samba over a certain
platform, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, etc?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Shawn Wright
Computer Systems Manager