Winmail.da

Vern H. Gill vgill at technologist.com
Wed Dec 20 01:19:03 GMT 2000

It has nothing to do with POSIX compliance, or SMTP compliance... It also
has nothing to do with SMS. It, has nothing to do wither with base64. It has
to do with another software company, just like many Linux distro vendors,
trying to extend the functionality of their software. From the MS
Knowledgebase;

When an end user sends mail to the Internet from an Exchange Windows or
Outlook client, a file attachment called Winmail.dat may be automatically
added to the end of the message if the recipient's client cannot receive
messages in Rich Text Format (RTF). The Winmail.dat file contains Exchange
Server RTF information for the message, and may appear to the recipient as a
binary file. It is not useful to non-Exchange Server recipients.

More so than anything MS has done, it is users failing to understand the
software they are using. The "broken" software can be "fixed" to not send
this attachment, but it requires a little work fromt he user. And believe
me, it isn't only MS software users that suffer this problem either. In the
future, instead of being a "dumb little MS basher", or a "cooler because I
use linux" idiot, do your research and find out what is REALLY going on...
Oh, and if you want to try and flame me because I am a "Microsoft Whore" or
whatever, don't bother. I have probably been in the xNix world longer than
you have thought about being in it.. I just happen to appreciate some of the
MS software, just as I appreciate some of the xNix software. One cannot do
EVERYTHING the other can better...

Enjoy...