network resources

Charles Crawford ccrawford at atsengineers.com
Tue Dec 19 16:45:27 GMT 2000

I can ping the clients by ip, or if I include the ip/host names in the
/etc/hosts file, but not through DNS... our DNS is external.

I've thought about this, but that's not the issue... what is actually
happening, I believe, is that the ping from the Win client is going to the
WINS server, then to the linux box, back to the WINS server, and then on
back to the client.

For some reason, this has to do with the WINS server (doubled ping response
times).

Anyway, my primary concern is that even if I can ping the linux boxes, the
problem is not resolved as far as mapping to the network (Samba) shares. I
thought that maybe there was something that indicates the max number of
connections that can occur for one linux server.

Oh, I had another non-related question regarding RH, and that is that I
recently read something about an ftp server issue that allows the server to
become overloaded or something. I have noticed a rather large number of FTP
error messages in the log files at times and was wondering where I could get
more information about this.

Thanks,

Charlie