W2K joining SMB Server

Armand Welsh armand at welshhome.org
Mon Dec 18 20:17:38 GMT 2000

I had problems too, I couldn't get w2k to join a smaba hosted domain, for
several days.  Then one day, I decided to take another stab at it, and gues
what... I did a "locate smb | grep bin" and found that I have duplacates.
Once I removed the old stuff, and retried, I found that the computer account
had a password assigned.  So I "vi /etc/passwd" and removed the computer
account.  and "vi /etc/smbpasswd" and removed the computer account, and the
root account entry.  I then set the smbpasswd for root to the linux
password, and created the computer account as directed in the FAQ, and as I
suspected it didn't work.. But, actually, it would... I tried it a few more
times, and (of course) the last try, it paused longer than normal, and then
said, welcom to domain... it worked.  It was just a matter of retrying a few
times, I guess maybe a timing issue.  I don't remember if I rebooted, or
just logged out, but after every couple of failures, I would log out and log
back in, then try again.