W2K joining SMB Server

Chen Shiyuan csy at hjc.edu.sg
Sat Dec 16 08:28:20 GMT 2000

Hi!

Hmm... this is what I did and it worked 20+ out of the 20+ times I
added/deleted/reinstalled samba and w2k...

1. I have been checking out samba-cvs daily since two weeks ago.
2. in my /etc/smb.conf, I have the following lines :-

   workgroup = ABC
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   update encrypted = no
   smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd

3. I added a machine account (with a $) into my /etc/passwd file, e.g,
hello01$

4. smbpasswd -a -m hello01$

5. powered on my w2k and logged in as the administrator account on the
local machine. The account which w2k asks me to give a password for when
installing it.

6. Went to Network and Dialup Connections/Advanced/Network
Identification and clicked on properties. There exists this option to
select either DOMAIN or WORKGROUP. I didn't make use of the wizard.

7. Click on DOMAIN and typed in ABC and press okay. Make sure that the
computer name listed in the Computer name field is what I created above,
e.g. hello01 (without the $)

8. W2k then prompts for a username/password and I typed in root and my
password.

9. Waited for a VERY LONG while and a box pops up saying - Welcome to
domain ABC.

10. Rebooted W2k and off I go.

Somethings to note would be that you must/ought to be making use of
encrypted passwords and your root account and password should be listed
in /etc/smbpasswd . cat /etc/smbpasswd | grep root should tell you if
that is the case. You can also use smbclient \\\\<your
servername>\\homes -Uroot and then type in the password to connect to
your root's home directory. If cannot, something is wrong with either
your smbpasswd file or your smb.conf .

That's just about how i got w2k to work fine.

Hope this helps!