W2K joining SMB Server

Eric Pilger pilger at kahana.higp.hawaii.edu
Fri Dec 15 19:43:07 GMT 2000

Joe Olt wrote:

> I have not been using Samba 2.2 that long.  But, I was able to get W2K
> workstations to joing the Samba domain only after this.
>
> After I followed the How-To, it would not work.  I changed the passwd program
> to point to the smbpasswd program and username level to 8.  Then it worked.

> It doesn't make much sense, but it worked.  Has anyone else tried this?  I'm
> using the 2.2-alpha, but have not CVSed.

Well I tried it. It didn't work. Like Hazen, and so many others, I have followed the FAQS, applied
the patches, changed my domain name to 5 letters, used simple smb.conf, tried CVS,  TNG and the
latest source. The only thing I haven't done is rub the damn thing on a horny toads wart, turned
around three times and thrown it over my shoulder.

The same bizarre behavior now happens every time.

- add machine to smbpasswd file (smbpasswd -a -m clientmachinename)
- ask machine to join domain
- enter username as root with appropriate password
- get message "The account used is a computer account. User your global user account or local user
account to access the server."
(Note: at this point, a check of the smbpasswd file reveals that samba has changed the
clientmachine entry to have a password of all XXXX...)
- ask machine to join domain
- enter username as root with appropriate password
- get message "The remote procedure call failed."
- ask machine to join domain
- enter username as root with appropriate password
- get message "The account used is a computer account. User your global user account or local user
account to access the server."
- ask machine to join domain
- enter username as root with appropriate password
- get message "The remote procedure call failed."
.
.
.

Ad infinitum (or as long as I've been willing to try)

--
Eric J. Pilger

Systems Administrator

Hawaii Institute of Geophysics and Planetology/SOEST

pilger at pgd.hawaii.edu

(808)956-6321