W2K Joining SMB Server

Armand Welsh armand at welshhome.org
Thu Dec 14 18:57:04 GMT 2000

I used the latest CVS or samba and it works.
if you would like my config files, and step by step examples, no problem,
but it's all by the book, according to the samba-PDC-faq text file.  The
only thing, I fought with it for a long time, only to discover I have two of
every file, and version, and the new version.  So I deleted all samba stuff,
then did a "make install" again, and now it works great.  After the new
install, I did have to manually create the computer account in /etc/passwd,
and /etc/smbpasswd, and I had to create a group in /etc/group for the
NTworkstations to belong to.  I made sure that I deleted the entries for
these in accounts in /etc/passwd, /etc/smbpasswd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group
before creating the new ones.  I follwed the faq step by step, then after
restarting smbd, and nmbd, and several join domain attempts, one of them
worked.  now the system is joined in, and I authenticate my users on my
win2k workstation against my tiny samaba server.