Printing on samba 2.0.7

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Thu Dec 14 16:06:22 GMT 2000

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 16:39:42 +0100, you wrote:

>I have big difficulty to printing with samba 2.0.7:
>my smb.conf=
>[printers]
>    comment = HpLaserJet5P
>    path = /var/spool/lpd/lp
>    browseable = no
># Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
>    guest ok = yes
>    writable = yes
>    printable = yes
>    public = yes

If you setup a share for a particular printer, then you'd better use its
name. So either the comment or the sharename are misleading.

You need to use a directory that is 1777 as the path (samba sets up
/var/spool/samba on some systems) . You cannot use something under
/var/spool/lpd which is not accessible directly, but just through the
lpd system.

What should happen is that the client puts the job in /var/spool/samba
(or /tmp) and then samba passes it to lpd which copies it into
/var/spool/lpd/*

giulioo at pobox.com