Shares on workstation?

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Wed Dec 13 08:31:31 GMT 2000

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Paul Williams wrote:

> Hi all..
>
> On our network there are a few things that need to be shared on the workstation (printers to be exact).  Now when I moved to Samba as PDC all of a sudden people can't access the shared resources on nt workstations.  I set up security very lax (read everyone full control), but still no go.  This is also true of shared directories.
>
> Ideas?
>
> TIA
> Paul

The problem is that in a Domain environment, the authentication is
demanded to the PDC and samba 2.0.7 has still problems authenticating in
behalf of others.

You may anyway setup a local account on the workstation and let users
authenticate against the workstation local account.
you should be able to connect with WKSNAME\username as username to the
service.
eg: if workstation name is TEST and username is print, when you map the
printer use the username  TEST\print

I have not tested, but it should work.

bye,
Simo.
--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451