printing word (*.doc) files from Linux/Samba clients to a NTprint server

Eric Pilger pilger at kahana.higp.hawaii.edu
Tue Dec 12 19:32:07 GMT 2000

Not really. It's a function of operating system design. Applications create and
use file formats. If they want to print, they generate some common format
(Postscript, PCL) and send it to a common printing engine, which then passes it
on to the printers. If a user wants to print a particular file format, they have
to have something on their machine that can translate that format.

Building support for every application known to man into the print engine just
wouldn't be practical. It also would rob those hard working developers of some of
their ill gotten gains :-)

--
Eric J. Pilger

Systems Administrator

Hawaii Institute of Geophysics and Planetology/SOEST

pilger at pgd.hawaii.edu

(808)956-6321